[Bristol-Birds] Baltimore Oriole photo from Compton Mt. in Buchanan Co., VA

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 22:43:58 -0400

Baltimore Oriole nest in Buchanan Co., VA by Roger Mayhorn.jpg

Photo by Roger Mayhorn

.        Thursday, 12 Jun 2014

.        Compton Mountain

.        Buchanan Co., VA

This morning was foggy and damp here on the mountain after last night's
rain.

As I walked under the maple tree in the yard where the first Baltimore
Oriole

nest on the mountain now hangs, I heard a bird calling. I finally tracked
the

sound to the oriole nest. I soon found a single nestling sitting on the rim
of

the nest begging for food. Within a few minutes the female oriole came in
with

food. I was waiting for just that moment. The attached photo is the result.

I don't know if there are more eggs in the nest that didn't hatch or if they

did hatch and some predator got all of them but this one.

Later in the day I heard the nestling's call coming not from the tree but
from

the hedges below the tree. I couldn't see it but I soon saw the male oriole
fly

into the hedge with food. The young bird was still there late in the
evening. I

hope a neighbor's cat or the raccoon I often see in the yard at night
doesn't

find it.

Roger Mayhorn

Compton Mt, VA