[Bristol-Birds] Baltimore Oriole, Hampton, TN

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:02:17 -0400

I enjoyed a great look at a male Baltimore Oriole at home (Simerly Creek Road
in Hampton) on Monday, Sept. 8. It's the first oriole to show up at the house
for at least two years.

He was in a stand of wild cherries where I have seen Baltimore Orioles in the
past. What attracted him to the trees?

Well, the wild cherries are plentiful and a grape vine with plenty of grapes
also trails into the trees. And, the wild cherry branches are also infested
with tent caterpillars, which I have observed Baltimore Orioles eat on past
occasions.

I didn't see this bird actually eat anything, but he would have quite a
selection in these trees.

About a dozen Common Nighthawks were foraging overhead at about the same time
that I saw the oriole.

Other recent migrants have included a male Black-throated Blue Warbler,
immature Chestut-sided Warblers and an Eastern Pewee.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, Carter Co., TN