[Bristol-Birds] Bald Eagle nest - Hawkins County

  • From: "Susan Hubley" <shubley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:14:02 -0400

3/27/10
This morning Shirley Price, Mike, and myself visited a private property
approximately 1 mile from our home and found an active Bald Eagle nest. It was
reported that the pair has built three nests on the property over the last two
breeding seasons, but no evidence of successful breeding in 2009. Based on the
homeowner's observations, one of the eagles on the property last year was
probably a fourth-year bird.
We observed a Bald Eagle sitting down in the nest and another one perched
nearby. The nest is approximately 50' off the ground. With the elevation of the
nest, and property constraints, we were unable to see down into the nest. We
have permission to continue monitoring the nest and will report any significant
findings.

Mike and I have watched a pair of Bald Eagles here on the lake since early last
spring and have searched diligently for a nest. We saw this pair almost every
day until late Fall. The last few weeks we have watched an eagle follow the
same flight path after successful fishing missions and were convinced that a
nest had to be nearby.

What a glorious morning it has been! A BIG THANKS to Shirley for obtaining
permission for us to enter the property.
Below is a photo taken this morning from a distance of approximately 1000 feet.

Susan Hubley
Rogersville, Hawkins County

JPEG image