[Bristol-Birds] Bald Eagle near Kingsport

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:08:58 -0400

Bald Eagle (1 adult)
sighting between April 7-11
N. Fork Holston River
near Yuma, Scott County, Virginia

A friend just called to report his neighbors encountered an adult Bald
Eagle in the past few days. They saw the eagle while kayaking down the N.
Fork Holston River between Yuma, Scott Co., Va and where Carters Valley
road crosses the N. Fork on the Hawkins Co/ Sullivan Co line in W. Carters
Valley near Kingsport. I drove VA State Rt 714 which is a small road that
follows the river between the Clouds Ford Bridge over the N. Fork on
Carters Valley Road in Tennessee and Yuma Road (VA ST RT 614) last Friday
specifically to look for eagles, but I'm sure one could be easily missed.
The habitat looks good, with large sycamore trees lining the river banks
and a number of rather isolated forested bluffs above the east bank of the
river. Will stay in touch with my friend (who lives on the river in that
area) for any additional sightings.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips