[Bristol-Birds] Re: Bald Eagle in Kingsport

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:34:53 -0500

Rick Phillips and  area birders,

The Bald Eagles nesting on the Holston River in Hawkins County at the west
edge of Kingsport, laid eggs in February of last year.  The bird you saw
may well be one of that pair.

With the long spell of warm weather,  the eagles may have started nest
preparations
early, like the Red-tailed Hawks Dave Worley and I discovered repairing an old
nest with new sticks 17 Dec. 2006 in Washington Co., VA.

Tennessee has records of Bald Eagle nest repair by a pair in October.  Eggs
normally are laid from early February to late April with the peak coming in
about a month.

The eagles built their nest on a small island site next to Clay Island in the
army ammunitions plant near Kingsport a couple of years ago and again last year.

This is the region's first eagle nesting in the upper Holston River area of
this region.

Keep your eyes open for anything.  Every Bald Eagle report in the region is
worthy of a pause to think about all possibilities.

And for that matter, we probably have a few dozen Great Horned Owls incubating
eggs at this hour.  If you have a favorite horned owl nesting site, go take a
careful
look.  Who knows ?  We climbed to a nest on Jan 20, 1967 along Va Rt. 75 near
the turnoff to Musick's Campground which had an egg in it and one broken egg
on the ground beneath.  That nest could easily have had an egg in it anytime
between
Jan. 10-15th of that year.

Don't forget Chris O'Bryan and a farm owner climbed a 30-foot metal food
storage
hopper near DeBusk Mill in Washington Co., VA, 2 Jan 2005, and discover a pair
of Barn Owls which had a winter nest with three young.

Let's go birding....