[Bristol-Birds] Bald Eagle and Golden Eagle - Russell County, VA

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:17:02 -0800 (PST)

I went birding this morning around Russell County. Along the Little River on
Kents Ridge Road I saw an adult Bald Eagle. It flew along the river, crossed
the road at the bridge then flew over the hill towards the confluence of the
Little and Clinch Rivers. This is the 3rd sighting I have had of an adult Bald
Eagle in the last month at this same location. By the time I stopped the truck,
unbuckled my seatbelt and got out with my camera I was only able to take one
recognizable photo.
Less than 5 minutes later as I turned on to Clifton Farm Road I saw a large
shadow cross over the truck. I got out just in time to see a large bird
disappear behind the hill to the right. I looked left and saw a Golden Eagle
flying towards me. It crossed the road directly overhead and I was able to take
several photos.
I have included a link to some of the photos of the eagles on Pbase along with
a photo of Russell County's favorite owl.

http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/double_eagle

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club