[Bristol-Birds] Bald Eagle Watauga Lake

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:54:04 EST

At Watauga Lake in Carter Co., TN Monday afternoon, Jan. 26, 2004, I walked
into Carden's Bluff Campground, which is closed for the winter, and glimpsed a
large bird leaving a treetop just past the first picnic table on the left.  My
right brain said Bald Eagle, while my left brain told me all the other things
it could be.  I only saw a silhouette from the rear as it left (a true
Rear-tailed Evader sighting!)  I also heard American Crows start to fuss near
the
adjacent Rat Branch Boat Ramp at that time.  After walking around Cardens Bluff
a while, I drove over to Rat Branch.  On the small, treed island left of the
boat ramp sat an adult Bald Eagle in plain view on a snag, apparently watching
the fishermen along the bank there.  If it was the same bird, it must have
been there the better part of an hour from the time it left Cardens Bluff until
the time I finally left Rat Branch.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN
and Cumberland Nature Club.