[Bristol-Birds] BBC partnerships with library for birding future

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:07:09 -0400

 BBC invests in its feature with Bristol library partnership

 Great turnout for bird box,
 bird feeder public program.
 On a cool cloudy day, patrons of the Bristol Public Library
 turned out with enthusiasm and appreciation for the BBC
 program which included a 55-slide tips and strategy PowerPoint
 presentation of how-to and how-not-to design a backyard
 as an inviting and enticing bird sanctuary.

The program title was "SEE ROCK CITY"
and included all of the unique aspects of
birdhouse landscaping, ceramic and art
items as well as an honest assessment
and game plan for homeowners' needs.

Some folks came
to get information
about how to have
their birding hobby
connected and
jump started into
a more active and
involved future.

BBC handouts
and contact details
were provided.

 "I came to check up on what I was doing and how I was doing
 it with my nest boxes and bird feeders," one lady said after the
 presentation. "This was very rewarding.  I learned a lot about
 what I need to do and the possibilities out there.  I thought the
 bird club could give me that.  You guys did a great job."

 One gentleman said he had so many thoughts racing thru his
 head that he couldn't wait to get his spring activities going.

 President Dave Worley huddled with participants one-on-one
 to explain what the Bristol Bird Club is about and how to
 get involved.  Some people were making notes!

 The catalyst to the mid-afternoon event was the enormous
 marketing and publicity efforts of the Bristol Public Library
 team.  There was no just sending out a press release and
 sitting back with their job done to let whatever happen.  The
 staff kicked into big-time-mode and worked like professionals.

Not only did they have beautiful
and nice graphics as well as
real creativity but they worked
hard to make the extra efforts.

There was no unlocking the doors
and running.  They actually had
three staffers working the event.

They crafted a color brochure about  Birds: Watching, Feeding,
Identifying and Enjoying.  It contained an extensive bibliography
from the library collection of two dozen titles.  The lists was
sorted to Beginning Bird Watching, Identification, Bird Behavior,
Attracting Birds, Raptors, Hummingbirds, Bird Books Too Good
To Miss and Websites.

Authors included David Sibley, Rick Knight, Ken Kaufman,
Edward Brinkley, Roger Tory Peterson, Hal H. Harrison, Robert
Burton, Donald and Lillian Stokes, Pete Dunn, Sheri Williams,
Tim Gallagher and the Bristol Bird Club and Cornell University.
There were many others.

The bird club showed original photos made by members of
issues and problems with managing bird feeders for top performance.
Proven techniques for feeder
clamps which secure
individual units from animals
which upset operations and
waste bird feed.

A list was presented that gave
the top 20 species that come
to area feeders in priority and
which is the first to come and
the last to leave each day,
based on a biological explanation for what determines such timing
and how we know.

Birders were taken on a photographic tour of area stores which sell
bird feeders, nesting boxes and seeds of all types.  The visual tour
included labeling and how to make economic and practical choices
by choosing where and when to shop.  Their eyes were opened
for how to plan purchases that have durability and those that are
simply gimmicks to attract a quick dollar.

They were coached on fool-proof ways to determine book titles
about backyard feeding that tip shoppers not to purchase.
A top shelf bird feeder field guide was introduced.

Not only did participants see an array of beautiful and colorful birds
but they learned things like "what is the most known and popular bird
to hikers of the Appalachian Trail that also frequents your feeder."

The library staff baked a
"Hummingbird Cake"
recipe and served cold
drinks and hot coffee for