[Bristol-Birds] BBC funds rehabers / seeks TN State park partnership

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:22:23 -0500

The Bristol Bird Club hit full winter stride Tuesday evening with a great
turnout for one of our best programs.  We covered a lot of important business,
made plans for upcoming activities and continued our outstanding funding of
worthwhile efforts.
Twenty-six (26) birders attended the meeting with 16 at the Mad Greek for our
pre-meeting dinner.  The fellowship at dinner was especailly good and warm.
Everyone was upbeat and enjoyed getting caught up after a long holiday season.

Keith and Geri Wynn, wildlife rehabers from the Wynn Wood Wildlife Rehab center
in Carter Co., gave an interesting program.  Keith shared important information
about recovering methods for injured wildlife and rehab.  This past year they
took in and treated 714 animals,  including 201 songbirds, 19 hawks, 25 owls, 5
wild geese, a gull, 23 ducks, 2 Green Herons and a Turkey Vulture.

Geri brought a Groundhog, 'possum and red morph Eastern Screech Owl.  The
members loved the animals.  The groundhog loves ot have his belly rubbed (our
members loved rubbing it).

And our membership donated $150 to cover the the BBC presentation of a check
for $150 to the Wynn Wood Wildlife Rehab.  Our donation will adopt 5 Red-tailed
Hawks and three or four Great Horned Owls for a month or so.  These are birds
on hand for the winter and the donation will go towards partially covering the
cost of their care.

Tennessee State Parks Ranger Leslie Burrell attened the meeting.  She is a
former naturalist at Steele Creek Park Nature Center and now stationed at Davy
Crockett Birthplace State Park, Limestone , TN.  Leslie informed us that
starting in early spring the park will have bird walks every fourth Saturday.
The state is also involved with an inventory of the state park's natural
history.  She subscribed to Bristol-Birds Net and will post more information in
the near future.  The BBC agreed to pursue an informal partnership with the
park, located on 105 partially wooded acres of land along the Nolichucky River
in Greene County, TN.  Bill Grigsby, who established our partnership with the
Natural Tunnel State Park in Scott Co, VA, will do the initial ground work with
Leslie.

Kevin Elam, Steele Creek Park Nature Center naturalist, noted that the center
had received five 50 pound bags of sunflower seed donated by the BBC and has
about two left.  We will replenish that supply as needed.

President Rack Cross reported that the first payment of our $250 donation
pledge to the East Tennessee State University Bristol Center Foundation would
be made this month.

Rack also noted the 51 birders attened the Annual BBC Christmas Party at Bob,
Ellen and Charlie Parker's home -- the largest turnout ever.  The Parker's have
invited us to their summer home on Watauga Lake for an outing.  We will persue
that with warmer weather.  Cross also noted the Bristol Christmas Bird Count's
91 species, the region's all time record high CBC count.  The previous region
record was 89 speices at Bristol in 1998.  The count was first held in 1931.

Wallace Coffey reported that planning for our joint sponsorship of the
Tennessee Ornithological Society's Winter Meeting at Dayton, TN is coming
together nicely.  The event is scheduled for the weekend of Jan. 28-29-30 and
the BBC is helping put together field trips and some features of the weekend
activites.  The BBC has joined the Knoxville TOS Chapter and Chattanooga TOS
Chapters in an East Tennessee effort to pool resources for the meeting.  About
a dozen BBC members plan to attend.

Larry McDaniel will have more information about this Saturday's BBC field trip
to the Limestone area of Washington County.  Dave Worley is leading our
Saturday, Feb. 12 annual Burke's Garden Golden Eagle Field Trip.  More details
to come.

Attending Tuesday night's meeting were ( * indicates those at Mad Greek):

* Fred Martin, Bristol, VA
* Janice Martin, Bristol, VA
* Rack Cross, Blountville, TN
* Tom McNeil, Elizabethton, TN
* Dianne Draper, Jonesborough, TN
* Don Holt, Johnson City, TN
* Reece Jamerson, Johnson City, TN
* Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
* John Hay, Kingsport, TN
Keith Wynn, Elizabethton, TN
Geri Wynn, Elizabethton, TN
* Lois Cox, Bluff City, TN
* Wilma Boy, Bluff City, TN
Leslie Burrell, Limestone, TN
Kevin Elam, Bristol, TN
Dexter Newman, Johnson City, TN
Lynda Newman, Johnson City, TN
Mike Poe, Blountville, TN
* Zellie Earnest, Kingsport, TN
* Bill Grigsby, Kingsport, TN
* Jo Ann Detta, Abingdon, VA
* Marty Huber, Abingdon, VA
Ron Harrington, Bristol, VA
* Mary Jane Erwin, Kingsport, TN
Diana Worley, Rosedale, VA
Dave Worley, Rosedale, VA

Lots of members have now paid their 2005 dues.

Let's go birding......

The Bristol Bird Club will meet at 7:30 p.m. at the East Tennessee State
University Bristol Center on the Volunteer Parkway.  Geri Wynn will have a very
interesting and informative program including the medical care and
rehabilitation of hawks, owls and other birds species, including other forms of
wildlife.

The Bristol Bird Club established a promotion partnership with Geri and Keith
Wynn and their rehab operation about a year ago.  It began with an
injured Barn Owl found on the road along the South Fork Holston River upstream
from Bluff City, TN in early April.  Bert Hale and other BBC members helped get
the owl to the  Wynn Wood Wildlife Rehab center and it was later treated and
released back at the original site on the South Fork Holston River.  We also
assisted in locating a site in Shady Valley where a Great Horned Owl could be
released and participated in the release.
Since then they have worked with Ron Harrington to share a booth with the BBC
at the 4th Annual Earth Day and Arboretum festival in Abingdon.

The BBC meeting will also hear final arrangements for our club's sponsorship
and arrangments for the Annual Winter Meeting of the Tennessee Ornithological
Society which will be held in about 10 days at Dayton, TN north of Chattanooga.
 We are responsible for the fieldtrips.

Anyone who owes for the registration fee for any of our three club-sponsored
Christmas Bird Counts should see our treasurer, Janice Martin, and pay as soon
as possible.  The club has already advanced fees for all participants.

And it is time to pay dues for the 2005 Bristol Bird Club membership year.  We
need everyone to take care of that as soon as possible.

See ya tonight at the BBC dinner at Mad Greek (6 p.m.), followed by the kickoff
of our 2005 year when we meet at 7:30 at the ETSU Bristol Center.

Let's go birding.....