[Bristol-Birds] BBC float boat field trip enjoyable for great group of birders

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 19:46:20 -0500

BBC float boat field trip SHL 29 Nov 2014.jpg

       Warm friendships, warm birding enjoyed great float boat field trip !

Seventeen (17) birders boarded two float boats at US 421 bridge on South
Holston

Lake and traveled more than 20 miles across the smooth surface to bird for
nearly

four hours Saturday morning.

Looking up the towering Blue Ridge face of Holston Mountain was enjoyable.

Looking down the throat of an Eared Grebe was a life experience for many.
Most

had seen the rare grebe on an off for 20 years near Musick's Campground but

few had seen one at such close range.

BBC float boat field trip Michele and Andy Jones 29 Nov 2014.jpg

A similar such BBC field trip, 2 October1994, had discovered the Eared Grebe
near

river mile 62 at the mouth of Spring Creek in Sullivan County, TN.  Little
did anyone

dream the Eared would, this year, return for its 20th consecutive winter.
Early on

they came in significant numbers as did birders who drove hundreds of miles

to get it on their life or state list.  In early October 1996, a high count
of 21 Eareds

was recorded at one time.

Rick Knight and Andy Jones were the leaders for today's trip.

BBC float boat field trip Henson boat 29 Nov 2014.jpgIt was thrilling to
have approximately

50 Horned Grebes about the boat in

every direction.  Bald Eagles flushed

along the shoreline and flew back and

forth near the boat to perched in

stunning views so very close.  Every
neck was frequently bent to watch gulls winging past at low height above

the tiny flotilla.

Jean Henson and Nancy McPeak poured gallons of hot chocolate and served

dozens of doughnuts.

Everyone came dressed and prepared for the weather.  It was a bit cloudy
early

on and the temperature below freezing when we pushed off.  The sun splashed

over the lake and we  enjoyed a warm winter day of about 50 degrees.

Neal Henson and Chris O'Bryan were our pilots and navigated among

beautiful foothills to constantly position the crafts for best viewing.
Others

kept everyone informed by two-way radios and where we were next

headed - including comfortable and warm restrooms.

Water birds included: Wood Duck 2, American Black Duck 1, Mallard many,

Ruddy Duck 4, Common Loon 8, Pied-billed Grebe 16, Horned Grebe ~50,

Eared Grebe 1, Double-crested Cormorant 2,  Great Blue Heron 6,

Bald Eagle 3 (1 adult, 2 immature) and Ring-billed Gulls 15.

Happy birders included:  Neal Henson, Jean Henson, Rick Knight, Jacki
Hinshaw,

Denise Hall, Brookie Potter, Jean Potter, Roy Knispel, Chris O'Bryan,
Wallace

Coffey, Nancy McPeak, Dick Moose, Judy Moose, Andy Jones, Michele Jones,

Adam Alley and Josh Alley.

Three Surf Scoters seen from Musick's Campground Friday, 28 Nov 2014, by

Adam Alley were not found on this outing.

Most participants gathered at Little Italy Pizza restaurant for an enjoyable
afternoon

lunch before heading their individual ways

BBC float boat field trip SHL Jones and Knight 29 Nov 2014.jpg

Dr. Andy Jones and Rick Knight.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image