[Bristol-Birds] BBC Picnic Celebration! Hot Dog!

  • From: wwg <wwg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:43 -0400

It's time for the Bristol Bird Club Picnic. Bristol is celebrating the 150th! Surely Wallace has more birds on his list than that! It's "eatin' time" the Bristol Bird Club way when our cooks put their best offerings on the tables at the BBC Annual Picnic. Saturday, July 1st, at Steele Creek Park, Civitan Shelter on the hill. Birders. birdwatchers, and birds will gather starting at 3:00 PM. Bring a covered dish, salad, veggies, dessert, or what ever you wish. There will be some grillin' and food will be served about 5 PM. Actually, I saw people eating as soon as I got there last year. What a great time!!! Don't miss it!

Wallace's directions from last year hit the nail on the head.

"First, remember, we will be at the Civitan Shelter on the hill.

The first hilltop shelter on the left before you drive down to the Steele Creek Park Nature Center is the ROTARY SHELTER -- WRONG ONE. Don't turn in there.

We are the NEXT shelter on the hill on the LEFT OF THE ROAD. Our Civitan Shelter has a big and colorful sign by the driveway.

The Civitan Shelter offers us a private parking lot, on the same level as the shelter. It is a spacious shelter with not only tables to eat at but, as I remember, serving shelves to put the food on. Everything is wide open and spacious. We also have nice bathrooms in one end of the shelter which are entered from the outside. So there is no more walking across the park to reach bathrooms. We can load our chairs, food, people and everything just a few feet from the parking lot right into the shelter. It also provides better protection from rain. We have a very nice playground adjacent to the shelter for all the younger folks who attend. We overlook the lake but are not adjacent to the water.

If it rains you have no wet grass or slippery slopes to get back to your car. All the parking is very close. No long walks from parking lots.

We used this shelter for several years during the 1990's. It will not be new to many of our birders."

Bring your lawn chairs, beds or recliners. Bring your binoculars (we had a special appearance of a Summer Tanager last year) and anyone else who will come. You do not have to be a BBC member. Bring a bunch. We enjoy seeing all our birding friends.

Bill Grigsby
BBC President
Kingsport, TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia