[Bristol-Birds] BBC Owl Prowl Sucsess

  • From: "Larry McDaniel" <lmcdaniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 07:22:19 -0400

Twenty four birders turned out for the Bristol Bird Club
Roan Mountain Owl Prowl. Many of those started out at the VA
in Johnson City where we were unable to see any Barn Owls.
Then we stopped for a quick meal and proceeded to Carvers
Gap on the Roan. A few of us got to see a Gray Fox on route.

The weather was excellent, a little chilly but not windy. We
were able to set scopes on a very accommadating Alder
Flycatcher. We all enjoyed good looks at the bird and it was
a life bird for some. Several stunning Cedar Waxwings
dropped in for a brief visit. Hermit Thrush, Veery and
Chestnut-sided Warblers were among some of the birds
entertaining us with their evening chorus.

Before dark, a fog could be seen approaching from a
distance. We decided to give it our best shot at getting a
Northern Saw-whet Owl. We set out on a trail to where Don
Holt and Chris Sloan had seen the owls many weeks ago. My
apologies for those who found the trail dificult or did not
see the birds.

Rack Cross and Linda Newman used MP3 recordings to help lure
at least two saw-whets in. Then Holt lured them in even
closer while whistling in three part harmony with them. One
of the owls perched in plain view providing us with
thrilling looks. It was a magnificent bird. How could
something so small be so grand? There may have been more
than two.

At Twin Springs picnic area Linda called in a Barred Owl
which flew over us several times. We were able to get
dramatic looks at it as Holt caught it with his zillion watt
spot light. We never did see or hear any other owls but we
sure had a good time. The BBC is riding high.

Participants were Reece Jamerson, Bill Grigsby, John Hay,
Mary Jane Erwin, Judy Roach, Greg Evans, Carol Evans, Rack
Cross (co-leader), Carol Cross, Sam Cross, Jami Cross, Mark
Crass, Joy Crass, Allan Kaplowitz, Kara Kaplowwitz, Diane
Draper, Don Holt, Vannessa Ryder, Amy Ryder, Dexter Newman,
Linda Newman, Mike Poe, Don Miller and Larry McDaniel
(co-leader).

Larry McDaniel
(423)773-9234