[Bristol-Birds] BBC Meets at Steele Creek Park Tuesday (May 18)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:52:59 -0400

Ron Harrington will be the speaker at the Bristol Bird Club's meeting Tuesday,
May 18, at 7:30 p.m. at the Steele Creek Park lodge adjacent to the park's
nature center in Bristol Tennessee.
His subject will be the very popular Cornell Project Feeder Watch which he has
participated in for many years.  He will have a color slide show for his talk.

Don't forget we've had excellent turnouts and fine fellowship for dinner at the
Mad Greek Restaurant on the Volunteer Parkway before our monthly meetings. We
will be back there again Tuesday.  We eat about 6 p.m. and dinner is on your
own. The Mad Greek is located 3.2 miles south of the ETSU-Bristol Center on the
Volunteer Parkway. It is across from the Bristol Tennessee Electric System and
Avoca Elementary School.

Ron has long participated in citizen science efforts. He is among thousands of
birders in North America who set aside a specific time each year to count birds
at feeders and to submit data to the Cornnell Labaratory of Ornithology. The
information provides significant understanding about the distributions and
numbers of bird species across the continent and provides a valuable database
for researchers. He will have color slides to illustrate his talk. This should
be an excellent program.

We will also have election of officers.  Rack Cross, who was nominated for the
office of Bristol Bird Club president at the BBC's April meeting, is among the
slate presented by our nominating committee.

President Dave Worley will conclude his three years as the club's leader at the
beginning of our June 12 BBC picnic which is scheduled for Steele Creek Park.

Let's go birding....