[Bristol-Birds] BBC Historical Snippets.

  • From: "annmcrae" <annmcrae@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 01:22:59 -0500

Thanks , Wallace , for the trips down memory lane.
In regard to your recent posts--BBC Historical Snippets;
The folks in the photos, and what the birders were doing
at those times brings back many pleasant memories
of birding with the Bristol Bird Club or just hearing of
your adventures via the internet post to bristol-birds or
TN-birds lists.

Re: the trip to Burkes Garden mentioned in the 3rd
of Wallace's Historical Snippets--this was only one
of several trips that we (Bibbee Nature Club members)
have had the pleasure of birding with Wallace and
the BBC.  Of course there were many times when we
would run into Wallace and his birding buddies on
our own--in Burkes Garden (4 Rough-legged Hawks
on one trip) ,  Saltville , VA at the ponds--think we were
chasing a Ross's Goose then and a  few VSO trips.

   Trips to White-Top Mtn / Grayson Highlands with both
Bristol and Bibbee Clubs, the Bristol Club's weekend trip
at Pipestem , WV and other WV areas.  Yes, great times!

   I don't remember the exact date , but on one of those
trips, Wallace told us about the Valley Birds list serve.
At that time, I didn't have a computer but Wallace was
not to be deterred .   "Buy yourself a second-hand
computer and get on the internet"! was his advice.
And in 1998 , I did get a computer (a new one) and
a  few months later, I did subscribe to Valley Birds.
Wallace was right , of course.  These internet bird
lists are so good for all birders , to exchange your birding
finds, trips, keeping up with all facets of the bird world.

In Wallace's last historical snippet about the Eared
Grebes ; One can readily grasp the changes in how
we use to report our good sightings about two decades
ago by telephoning the news in to the Rare Bird Alert
phone lines. Then it could take a week or more to get the
word out across the region / state compared to todays'
almost instant technology (for those up to date birders
with up to date tekkie / trekie stuff) for spreading the word
about rare or unusual sightnings.  And of course we have
our fearless leader, Wallace, to guide, encourage and
nudge all in the right direction (s).  Lead on , Wallace.

And, Wallace,  thanks again for all your efforts , to keep us
going and enjoying  birding .  And reminding us of all the
birds and birders along the way.

Ann and Grady McRae
Bluefield, WV.   Mercer County