[Bristol-Birds] BBC Field Trip to Winged Deer Park

  • From: "Larry McDaniel" <localcolors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:06:02 -0400

On Saturday, 4/23/05, the Bristol Bird Club will have a field trip to Winged
Deer Park in Johnson City, TN. Everyone is welcome. We will meet in the parking
lot in front of the main office at 8 AM. This is off of the Bristol Hwy by the
big white house, the statue and the old cabin. If you need help finding us,
call my cell at 773-9234.
Brad Jones, Naturalist for the Johnson City Parks and Recreation Dept., has
agreed to meet us at 8 AM to give a brief talk on the park, including some of
the environmental concerns. There are continual challenges to saving the
natural habitat in city parks. This is a great opportunity to show those in
responsible positions that we care.

The park is wonderfully diverse in habitat and has over 150 species of birds
recorded. Plan to walk through some wet grass.

On Thursday, 4/21/05, in about 1 1/2 hours, I found 38 species including

Great Blue Herons
Tree Swallows
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
Brown Thrashers