[Bristol-Birds] BBC Bogwatch at Cranberry Festival

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:53:25 -0300

Area Birders:

Members of the Bristol Bird Club invite all of you to join us at our Quarry
Bog Bogwatch in Shady Valley, Tennessee Satruday (10/11) as we help
celebrate the annual Cranberry Festival and enjoy a good day of visiting and
birding.

This event has been very popular with our birders for the past few years.
We will start gathering at Quarry Bog at 8 a.m.  Quarry Bog is located on Tn
Rt. 133  8/10 of a mile from the valley's main crossroads  in the direction
of Damascus, Va. and Backbone Rock.  This is just  1/2 mile north of Shady
Valley School on the left.  You will notice a massive oak tree on the left
(same side as school) and your turn into the lane and our group can be found
gathered at the end of the lane at the edge of the Quarry Bog Prserve property.

Birding offers a chance at seeing an American Bittern, Virginia Rail, Sora,
Sedge Wren, Marsh Wren, Savannah Henslow's Sparrow, LeConte's Sparrow,
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow and Lincoln's Sparrow.

Bill Grigsby plans to bring a gas stove and will make coffee for the early
birders and that should be a delight.  We will come up with cups for
everyone but you are invited to bring your favorite thermal mug or morning
mug for extra enjoyment.

Please bring your folding chair for lounging and visitng.  Snacks, desserts,
chips whatever are always fun. Pack a lunch if you like or get something to
eat at the festival. Remember the grass can be wet from due in the early
hours so be prepared.  We will make regular walking checks of the bog arears
from time to time to search for the really good birds mentioned above.

The Annual Cranberry Festival will be underway just 1/2 mile down the road.
Several of us usually go down for the really-fun and casual parade which
begins about 11 a.m. Traffic and parking can be very heavy near parade time
if you a traveling in on TN. Rt. 91 or U.S. 421 so come earlier.  The music
grounds and craft booths as well as good food will be available at the
fesitval grounds on the Shady Valley School ballfields.

One of the favorites is the Polish sausage on buns served by the Shady
Valley Ruritan Club at the picnic shelter.  Be sure and say hello to Ruritan
members Chris O'Bryan and Lynn and Todd Eastin who are all members of the
Bristol Bird Club.  They will be busy at the booth and Chris says he will be
selling Cranberrie plants as a fund raiser.

We usually begin to give up our bogwatch by sometime in early afternoon,
depending on the mood and success of birders.

See you there.

Let's go birding....