[Bristol-Birds] BBC !3th of Month Field Trip

  • From: wwg <wwg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:15:47 -0500

A clear, cool (or frosty) day for birding on the ponds and lakes in the Bristol area. The fieldtrip yielded 39 species in Washington County, VA and Sullivan Co, TN.

Wallace Coffey and Bill Grigsby

Clear Creek Lake w/JWC Washington Co., VA
Common Loon 1
American Coot 30
Hooded Merganser 130
Great Blue Heron 2
Black-crowned Night-Heron 4
Pied-billed Grebe 3
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Ring-billed Gull 30
Lesser Scaup 2
Common Goldeneye 1
Canada Goose 15
Northern Flicker 1

Niswonder Pond w/JWC Washington Co. VA
Ring-necked Duck 1
American Wigeon 1
Cedar Waxwing 20
Carolina Wren 1

Sutton Pond w/JWC Sullivan Co. TN
Hooded Merganser 12
Ring-necked Duck 3
Mallard 40

Middlebrook Lake  w/JWC Sullivan Co. TN
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Coot 25
Hooded Merganser 22
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 10
Canada Goose 1
Mallard 1

Wallace Coffey, Charlie Parker, Ellen Parker, Bill Grigsby
SHolston Weir Dam Sullivan TN
Bufflehead 83
American Wigeon 18
Redhead 5
Green-winged Teal 5
Ross's Goose 83
Canada Goose 38
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
American Crow 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Powerline Farms Sullivan Co. TN
Mourning Dove 40
European Starling 40
American Kestrel 1
Blue Jay 4
Northern Cardinal 1
American Crow 20
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Killdeer 1
White-crowned Sparrow 1

South Holston Lake/Musicks Campground, Sullivan Co. TN
Eared Grebe 4
Horned Grebe 12
Common Loon 3
Pied-billed Grebe 6
Ring-billed Gull 20
Cedar Waxwing 6
White-crowned Sparrow 12
Eastern Phoebe 1

That is 38 species, but I recall that Wallace said he saw a White-throated Sparrow(s), but I missed noting the location.

Bill Grigsby
Kingsport, TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia