[Bristol-Birds] BBC 13th of the month field trip

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:16:46 -0500

The Bristol Bird Club's 13th of the month field trip enjoyed good fellowship,
beautiful weather but unusual birds (exciting waterfowl) were not found in the
area.

We went towards Johnson City in Carter County and birded along the Watauga
River, then north along the South Fork Holston River in Sullivan County to the
Weir Dam.  A short stop for lunch and then finishing the day at Middlebrooke
Lake in east Bristol Tennessee.

We started with Larry McDaniel, Don Holt and Wallace Coffey.  Rob Biller caught
up with us along the South Holston River at Central Holston.  We met up with
Jerry and Jane Thornhill at the Weir Dam on the South Holston Dam Reservation.

At Crumley Pond along Paddle Creek Rd. in Sullivan Co. we had a Ruddy Duck,
Ring-necked Duck (8) and a Pied-billed Grebe.

Near Big Spring Road, along the South Holston River, we saw maybe as many as 50
Turkey Vultures with some in the road, several stretching and drying their
wings in trees and one in the river -- apparently to drink or bathe.  Wild
Turkey (6) fed along the road.
We had previously had a turkey jump into the road in front of our car in Carter
County.
Up stream from Central Holston, a Common Raven flew along a ridge.

The Weir Dam had the usual population of Bufflehead which is increasing.

Middlebrook Lake had a couple of Pied-billed Grebes and Hooded Merganser 8.

We also enjoyed 2 Red-tailed Hawk.

Let's go birding......

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, Tn