[Bristol-Birds] Audubon "State of The Birds" article.

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:48:25 EDT

Fellow Birders:
I would like to draw your attention to an interesting and informative, though
disturbing, article in the October 2004 Audubon. The article, entitled State
of Birds, USA 2004, "The Big Picture," by Greg Butcher, brings together
valuable information about current US bird populations, thanks to information
generated by several cooperative efforts under the umbrella of the North
American
Bird Conservation Initiative. The report summarizes the state of nearly all
North American birds by five environments: grasslands, scrublands, woodlands,
water, and urban. One finding that stands out: 85% of the grassland bird
species
are declining. The report also includes a section on what we can do to help
keep "common birds common and reverse the decline of globally threatened
species...start small, but think big." As birders, we should do more than just
enjoy
the birds, we must be proactive in assuring their survival.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA