[Bristol-Birds] Arizona birds

  • From: <marion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:06:11 +0000

Hi everyone,

I've been in Arizona since Feb. babysitting Bald eagles and car camping. My
partner and I have accumulated 80 birds on our list. A lot of new birds for me!

This morning we hiked to the Roosvelt reservoir (Teddy) which is near our
campsite and saw 300 Western Grebes, a low flying Osprey with large fish, Am
Coots, cormerants, Pied billed grebes, and four Franklin's gulls. We recently
saw a flight of 25 White Pelicans which was spectacular.

Last night we had a big thunder and lightening (and rain) storm. It's been an
unusually cool and wet spring. We ford a creek (a couple of feet deep) to get
to our camp although the creek was dry in Feb.

Anyway the eagles are doing fine. The female had a hook and line in her beak
for a while but she got rid of it. We were glad she didn't swallow it which
sometimes happens. The two nestlings should fledge in about a month. Eleven
dead adults have been found in AZ this month-I'm not sure of the breakdown for
cause of mortality. But some are due to lead and some mercury. And people still
shoot eagles occasionally....

Hope the weather's good there!

Marion Finucane