[Bristol-Birds] Another great day at Mendota Hawkwatch

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:49:05 -0700 (PDT)

It was a Peregrine Falcon Day at Mendota Fire Tower Hawkwatch with 7 flying by
the tower. We also had our 2nd Golden Eagle and 3 Bald Eagles. Oh yes, we did
have 1527 Broad-winged Hawks. After a somewhat slow start to the year we have
been busy over the last 4 days with 6483 Broadwings. Our total for the year has
already surpassed the totals for 2009 and 2010 and the 10 year average in
almost all species. Especially heartening are the Bald Eagle numbers. The 10
year average was 10 eagles. Last year we had 40 and we already have 44 this
year. We also have 9330 Broad-winged Hawks so far compared to 7951 in 2009 and
7896 in 2010.
The really good news is that there are more hawks in the pipeline. There are
still good numbers of hawks being seen at Harvey's Knob and Rockfish Gap and if
the weather conditions are favorable we should see good numbers over the next
few days.
I have been especially gratified for all the help I have received this year. If
you can, please come join us at the hawkwatch over the next few days. I plan to
continue the hawkwatch until October 5 and there is still time to see some
raptors.

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club