[Bristol-Birds] An amazing yard day

  • From: Anita Huffman <housewren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:02:19 -0400

We saw 46 species in the yard today ( or in the sky above the yard). I say amazing because I've never seen so many migrants at one time in all my 47 years of birding. I was still only able to count 4 Swainson's thrushes at one time but it reminded me of a swarm of bees. We had 13 species of warblers and many of most species. We even had a lifer for Eric, Tina and me...Two blue-winged warblers. At one time there were bathing in the creek outside the den windows 5 cedar waxwings, 2 scarlet tanagers, a swamp sparrow, 2 chipping sparrows, a redstart and a Swainson's thrush. And the cool thing is we saw them all from the windows. We didn't even have to go anywhere :)Here's what we saw:

turkey vulture-5
raven-1
crow-2
blue jay-2
Swainson's thrush-4 (or more)
wood thrush-1
bluebird-5 (or more)
brown thrasher-1
catbird-3
cedar waxwing-4(or more)
yellow-billed cuckoo-2
flicker-1
pileated woodpecker-1
downy woodpecker-2
red-bellied woodpecker-1
screech owl-1
scarlet tanager-3
white-breasted nuthatch-2
titmouse-3
chickadee-3
pewee-1
phoebe-1
ruby-throated hummingbird-1
red-eyed vireo-4
yellow-throated vireo-1
chestnut-sided warbler-4
blackburnian warbler-1
orange-crowned warbler-5
black-throated green warbler-8
Northern yellowthroat- 2
Tennessee warbler-6 or more
blue-winged warbler-2
yellow-throated warbler-1
palm warbler-3
prairie warbler-1
redstart-2
magnolia warbler-5
black & white warbler-1
cardinal-3
towhee-2
goldfinch-14
chipping sparrow-2
song sparrow-2
swamp sparrow-2
indigo bunting-1
rose-breasted grosbeak-2

There were more individual warblers than the 3 of us could count esp. the orange-crowned, Tennessee, and magnolias. It just wasn't possible to keep up with them all!

Anita Huffman
Rugby, VA

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee. --------------------------------------------------