[Bristol-Birds] American Woodcock (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:41:06 -0500 (EST)

February 14, 2011

I've been checking two sites in Greene County regularly for woodcocks since
mid-January but have had no luck until today. This evening, I saw a fly-by
woodcock along lower Holly Creek Road in Tusculum. The bird zipped by, heading
westward, as the lovely orange-pink sun faded to pastel tones at dusk. No
timberdoodle music and drama yet, just a quick reminder that they're still
there.

This is the first woodcock I've encountered since November 28, when I saw a
bird at almost exactly the same place at exactly the same time of day, relative
to the sun. The sky even looked and felt the same on that date--clear with warm
temperatures, no wind, and flush with dying sun. I like to think of woodcocks
seesawing around the solstice.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN