[Bristol-Birds] American Woodcock (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:40:09 -0500

February 21, 2006

I observed at least five American Woodcocks at dusk today in the field behind the Italian Village Restaurant on North Rufe Taylor Road in Greeneville. I got the whole show--"peent" calls on the ground, wing-whirr while ascending, and "kissing" sounds upon descent. I observed two or three birds flying near me and was lucky enough to have one light within fifty feet of where I stood. I also heard several birds give a very nasal "huhhuhhuhhuh" sound while in flight near the ground. I'm not sure if this communicates agitation, some kind of territorial pronouncement, or something else entirely.

This site has been a reliable place for woodcocks for about five years now.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia