[Bristol-Birds] Re: American White Pelican, Hampton, TN

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:41:55 -0400

The Kingsport Amrican White Pellican seen often on Netherland Inn Road in
Sullivan County was 2 Feb 1995 thru at least Mar 1996 and was back and forth
between Johnson City V.A. pond, Austin Springs (both in Washington County) and
Kingsport.  The actual ending date of it in the region is somewhat clouded by
the fact that the people up at Bays Mountain Nature Center caught it in a net
and took it to the center to take care of it because they said it was injured.
It is reported to have died at Bays Mountain.  They had no record of the date
they captured it off the river nor the date it died.  A rather unfortunate
situation.  But, I guess, that would be a summer record for Northeast Tennessee
during the summer of 1995.
Let's go birding....