[Bristol-Birds] Alder Flycatchers,Blue-winged Warbler, Brewster's Warbler

  • From: Robert Biller <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:27:48 -0400

Hello Bristol and TN Birders:

Monday, May 29, 2006, A group of local birders birded Hampton Creek Cove and
the Top of Roan Mtn.  I have forgotten my official list at home (I'm sneaking a
break at work) so I will just rely on memory and list the highlight species.
The birders were myself (Rob Biller), Tom McNeil, Reece Jamerson, Bryan
Stevens, and Gilbert Derouen.  All Species were seen in Carter County or just
across the state line in NC in Carver's Gap (I don't know the county in NC).

Highlights for Hampton Creek Cove (Carter County):

-Blue-winged Warbler (seen by Tom McNeil, Rob Biller, Reece Jamerson) across
the "fishing" bridge on the left side of the cove.)
-Brewster's Warbler (seen by entire group, same place as above) - this bird was
first seen my Seasonal naturalist Nora Schubert on Saturday May 27.  This bird
has the resemblance of a full Golden-winged Warbler, but sang the Blue-winged
Warbler song.
-Willow Flycatcher (1)
-Black-billed Cuckoo (seen and heard by Rob Biller, Tom McNeil, and Reece
Jamerson.  It was at the same location that is described above and was observed
at about 30-40 ft away sitting in on a branch about 20 feet up.  It did not
sing its normal song, but a softer yet more scolding call.  I wondered if there
is a nest near-by.)
-Yellow-billed Cuckoo (1)(heard by entire group)
-Golden-winged Warblers (many)
-Least Flycatcher (many)
-Yellow Warbler (many)
-American Redstarts (many)
-Yellow-breasted Chat (1)
-Chipping Sparrows
-Field Sparrows
-Northern Flicker
-Common Yellowthroat
-Indigo Buntings
-Cedar Waxwings
-House Wrens (many at bottom)
-Eastern Bluebirds
-Chestnut-sided Warblers (many)
-Broad-winged Hawk (2)
-Turkey Vulture

Drive to the top: (new for day)

-Barn Swallow
-Hooded Warbler
-Great-crested  Flycatcher
-Eastern Kingbird
-Eastern Wood-Pewee
-Northern Parula
-Black-throated Blue Warbler
-Red-tailed Hawk

At top (Carver's Gap)

-Alder Flycatcher (~5) - 1 just in North Carolina
-Brown Creeper
-Golden-crowned Kinglet
-Veery
-Red-breasted Nuthatch
-Blackburnian Warbler
-Northern Bobwhite (2) *

* We were down about where the Appalachian Trail (from the gardens) meets the
highway.  If I hadn't been with 4 other good birders who not only heard these
birds but saw them as well, I would've been very reluctant to mention this
without seeking further guidance.  Not only did we hear the normal "Bob-WHITE"
call, but they did another cool call that I was told is the way mating pairs
keep up with one another.  I had walked back up the road (toward the top)
trying to find a better vantage point to see where this odd sound was coming
from when a Bobwhite flew across in front of the other 4 birders.

Does anybody have any idea about Bobwhite at Carver's Gap on Roan?  Could they
have escaped from the North Carolina side where there is apparently a Bobwhite
farm in Bakersville?  Non-the-less, a VERY interesting sighting.

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN