[Bristol-Birds] ADDENDUM unmated Great Blue Heron in third calendar year at Paddle Creek Pond

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 01:52:24 -0400

ADDENDUM
Paddle Creek Pond
Sullivan County, TN

I may have overstated the need for the Great Blue Heron
to have a night roost.

For some who might not otherwise know,  Great Blue Herons
are, like many herons, nocturnal hunters and feeders.  There
are nights when they are feeding very late, even on very
dark nights.  One was seen on Bethel Drive in Sullivan County
about midnight when my car headlights illuminated the creek
where it was hunting along the road.  It was cold and a fresh
snowfall covered most of the surroundings but not the roadway.

The reason for this addendum is because I made several
remarks in the initial post about where it might roost at night.
For all I know, it may not have a night roost.  It is likely this
bird hunts and feeds both day and night and is at rest and
some level of sleep at the perch tree or in the water at any
hour it chooses, both day and night.

They are well known as mainly crepuscular (primarily active
during twilight, that is during dawn and dusk), but also diurnal
and nocturnal feeder.