[Bristol-Birds] A gull of a day in Buchanan County

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:46:27 -0500

You just never know where a bird is going to turn up! While making my evening
bus run I see,up ahead, a pigeon-sized, mostly white  bird that sits in the
road until I'm right on top of it. I can plainly see the pale gray back &
unmarked wings, white tail & head with a little dark mark behind the dark eye.
As the bird flies up in front of the bus I can see white on the trailing edge
of the pale gray wings. This sighting of a Ross's Gull occurred on the Breaks
side of Bull Mt. in Buchanan County. I drove back up to try to relocate the
bird but failed to find it again. While scanning the area on my return home, I
noticed some birds near the small pond at Willowbrook Country Club. A closer
look proved them to be 13 Ring-billed Gulls. While these are very common for
you East Tennesseans they are very rare in our neck of the woods! These gulls
were about fifty feet from the county line. Maybe tomorrow they'll be in
Dickinson County.

David Raines
Breaks,VA