[Bristol-Birds] A good sedgewren, bittern and rail-dog

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 04:51:59 -0400

Area Birders:

Imagine our surprise when "Booger," our long-missed sedgewren, bittern and
rail -dog,"  made an appearance at Quarry Bog in Shady Valley, Johnson Co.,
TN, Saturday for the Bristol Bird Club's Annual Bogwatch.

Booger, the family pet of Kathy and Keith Cornette of Shady Valley, has not
been seen at the bog in nearly three years.  In our earlier years,  the big
black fellow frequently went afield with us snifffing up  American Bittern,
Virginia Rail, Sora, Sedge Wren, Marsh Wren, Henslow's Sparrow, LeConte's
Sparrow, Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow and Lincoln's Sparrow.

The Johnson County newspaper, The Tomahawk, featured Booger's birding
contributions in a nice article and photo a few years ago.

It was a great reunion for the many birders who turned out for the Cranberry
Festival and to visit our bogwatch when we once again had Booger join us in
the field and for him to prance thru the vegetation looking and sniffing for
birds.  The dog's owners have kept him put up for the last several years and
we have seen almost nothing of him except an infrequent glimpse in a far off
cage at the barn.

Booger is aging like a lot of us.  He has more grey hair and is slower and
less fiesty.  Nevertheless, he sure did enjoy Lynda Mayhorn's cranberry cake
with black walnuts.
The birders did likewise.  We warmed our sprits at Bill Grigsby's tent and
gas stove where he made several pots of welcomed coffee.  Judy Roach and
Janice Martin supplied other tasty treats.  It sure was fun gathering,
cracking and eating white walnuts (butternuts).  The weather was perfect --
no rain, cool and sun for the beautiful fall colors in the mountains.

Participants:  we had 15 birders, including some from as far away as Wise
and Tazewell counties in Virginia.   It was a fine turnout and we all
enjoyed a restful day visiting and birding in Shady Valley.

Our 14-year-old naturalist, Chris O'Bryan, again conducted a successful and
well-attended nature walk over the boardwalk at Schoolyard Spring Preserve.
It was sponsored by the Bristol Bird Club and the Shady Valley Ruritan Club.

Let's go birding....