[Bristol-Birds] A few good birds at Sycamore Shoals today

  • From: Heather Jones <hrupejones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:34:21 -0400

I had a great day of birding at Sycamore Shoals today, despite the rain. It
was drizzling much of the morning, but as long as it wasn't pouring I
stayed out.  I had an all-day babysitter, so I wasn't about to let a little
rain spoil my birding.

From about 9:30a-1:30p:

Osprey - 1
Eastern Kingbird - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler - too numerous and wiggly to count!
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Eastern Towhee
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Blue Jay - 5
Robins
Cardinals
Carolina Chickadees
Brown Thrasher - 2
Mallard
Canada Goose
Spotted Sandpiper - 2
Blue-winged Teal - 5, 3 females, 2 males
Green Heron - 1
Tree Swallows
Chimney Swifts
American Goldfinch
White-throated Sparrow
Field Sparrow - 2
Gray Catbird - 1
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Wren
Carolina Wren

Over by the butterfly garden saw:
Indigo Bunting - 1 male
Palm Warbler -1

Also saw a smallish snake stretched out on a tree.  I don't know snakes
enough to identify it, but it was black on top and light underneath.  It
just looked at me with raindrops dripping off its chin. Very cool moment.

Heather Jones
Piney Flats, TN