[Bristol-Birds] A bundle of sapsuckers

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:40:25 -0400

Bristol Birders:
Today (6/17),  Ron Harrington and I changed our plans at the last minute and
went sapsucker seeking.  It was a good day !

We were able to discover Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers on three breeding
territories in the Jefferson National Forest of Grayson County, VA.

Just after completing our Cornell Birds in Forested Landscape survey in the
Fairwood Area of the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area,  we decided to do
some spot checking over route we had not sampled.

We headed up the four-mile length of the 'Possum Creek jeep trail along Stone
Mountain to the "Scales" at 4,400 feet elevation at the Appalachian Trail and
Pine Mountain.   We got on the Forest Service back country Route 613 at 8:30
a.m.   We spent the morning in impressive habitat.

Our first bird was a drumming and calling male at 4,060 feet about 2.5 miles
up.  The second came just a 1/2 mile further at 4,200 feet when a female came
to a tape recording of the sounds of a screech-owl being mobed by chickadees.
The thrid was at 4,300 feet when a male responded to a tape and came for a
close look at 3.5 miles up.

About 1.5 miles up from the bottom we did see an Eastern Screech-owl flapping
through the canopy after we just happened to stop and was walking near where he
evidently was roosting along the road :-)

U.S. Forest Service biologist Cecil Thomas wrote to say he had found two
sapsucker males on Wednesday -- one at Grindstone Campground and the other
along State Route 600 about half way up to Elk Garden.

At 4,280 feet today on the jeep trail, Ron and I saw a Black-throated Green
Warbler gathering nesting materials in the road and flying off down the slope.
Canada Warblers are in full song in good numbers and so is the Veery.

Let's go birding.....