[Bristol-Birds] 6th Annual BCBC Sparrow Hike - Guesses Fork, Hurley, Virginia - Nov. 1

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, New River Birds <nrvbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 04:09:22 -0700 (PDT)

Area Birders,

The Buchanan Co. Bird Club is having their 6th Annual Sparrow Hike this
Saturday, November 1.  We will be meeting at the mouth of Guesses Fork (Rt.
646) near Hurley, VA at 8:30 a.m.  From there we will be driving up the right
hand fork of Guesses Fork and then carpooling in 4x4 vehicles to the reclaimed
strip mine site on top of the mountain.  Historically this area has been a
magnet for migrating sparrows and in many years we net over eight sparrow
species.  Already the Swamp, White-throated, and White Crowned Sparrows have
shown up.  We can also expect Song, Chipping, Field, and Savannah Sparrows. On
past hikes, we have also found Grasshopper, Lincoln's, Fox, Henslow's, and
Vesper Sparrows along this old mine site.

Here are some links to some pictures of past sparrow hikes showing the habitat
we will be birding in:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/sparrow2
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/sparrow
http://www.bcbirdclub.org/talbott/trips/winter03/guesses1.htm

Directions from Grundy, VA:
Coming into Grundy on Rt. 460 West:  At the main stop light in town (the one
just beyond the courthouse at the new mountain cut) take a right onto State
Route 83 towards West Virginia. After 8.6 miles you will turn left onto Rt. 643
towards Hurley, VA. Travel 10.4 miles on Rt. 643 until you reach the mouth of
Guesses Fork Rt. 646 (be careful to make the left turn at Blackey Baptist
Church at about 5.8 miles along Rt. 643).  Here we will meet at 8:30 a.m. in
the large parking area next to the road.  I'll be driving a maroon Chevy S-10
pickup.  Be sure to show up on time because once we start making our way to the
top of the mountain on the old mining roads you will not be able to find us.
The plan is to travel up Rt. 646 to the right hand fork - Rt. 647 and then
carpooling to the top of the mountain.  The road is in good shape and most 4x4
vehicles should have no trouble reaching the top.
Grundy is about 95 minutes from Abingdon and the site we are meeting at is an
additional 30 minutes drive from Grundy.

We will have a hot dog cookout for lunch. Please let us know if you plan on
coming, so we can put your name on a few hot dogs (but if you decide at the
last minute to join us, please come;we always have lots of extra food).  Please
bring your own drink and a chair.

The hike will be on a level road through the old strip mine site and usually
takes around three hours.  Some of us may want to make short trips out into the
brush to scare up some sparrows that like to sit tight. The sun will be in
front of us for part of the hike so a pair of sunglasses might come in handy.

Look forward to seeing you.

Ed and Michelle Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club

Phone:  (276) 531-8528