[Bristol-Birds] 48 Yard Species - 10 Warblers

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:57:55 -0400

Area Birders,
As hurricane Katrina moved through the area, the passerine migration seemed to
pause for a day or so here in my yard on Compton Mt. However, this morning the
birds began pouring in with 48 species being the high count for the day. The
warblers that showed up as the fog was rising were AMERICAN REDSTART 1,
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER 2,  BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLERS 3,  BLUE-WINGED WARBLER 1,
CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER 3,  HOODED WARBLER 2,  KENTUCKY WARBLER 2,  OVENBIRD 1,
TENNESSEE WARBLER 4,  YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER 1.

The 3 Chestnut-sided Warblers were 1st. year females. I have noticed in the
last few years that 95% of the Chestnut-sided warblers that pass through here
in the fall are 1st. year females. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the
subject than I, could enlighten the rest of us as to why. Peterson's Guide to
Warblers doesn't mention any differences in the migration of juveniles and
adults.

I had 4 species of Vireo in the yard today - BLUE-HEADED 1,  RED-EYED 3,
WHITE-EYED 1 and YELLOW-THROATED 1.

Six SCARLET TANAGERS in non-breeding plumage were in the yard at one time. Most
of the time they were either chasing each other or some other species.

Two BROAD-WINGED HAWKS were hunting just across the road in the neighbor's
pasture, and one of the resident RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS called from out over the
valley.

Five COMMON NIGHTHAWKS flew over this evening as I stepped outside. I may have
gotten many more if I had started watching earlier.

For those interested the complete list follows:

Enjoy the migration,

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt (near Grundy)
Buchanan County VA