[Bristol-Birds] 42 Yard Species

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 23:54:23 -0400

Area Birders,
Today, Friday, while doing yard work and other outside chores, I kept my
binos close at hand and logged 42 species, 7 of which were warblers. I had
Bay-breasted 1,Black-and-White 4, Black-throated Green 2, Chestnut-sided
2,Tennessees 13, Yellow-breasted Chat 2, Yellow-throated Warbler 3.

Some of the other more interesting species were Blue-headed Vireo 2,
Red-eyed Vireo 12, White-eyed Vireo 3, and Yellow-throated Vireo 3. I also
saw Scarlet Tanagers 10, Eastern Phoebe 1, Eastern Wood Pewee 1, an Empid,
possibly a Least Flycatcher, a Pileated Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpeckers
4, Northern Flicker 1, Downy Woodpeckers 2, a Common Raven, a Red-shouldered
Hawk and a Broad-winged Hawk.

Had I not been working I think I could have logged more migrants. I know
several got by me. The complete list follows.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County Bird Club