[Bristol-Birds] 3 incidents

  • From: Bill Cawood <b_cawood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 07:40:10 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

This week I have had three interesting sightings.

Sunday December 9, 2012: Powell River between Big Stone Gap and Appalachia VA.
Bald eagle flying upstream from BSG toward Appalachia.  Seen from car.

Monday December 10, 2012: Williams Hollow west of BSG off of 58A.  Red
Shouldered hawk taking a squirrel off a branch on front of my school bus.

Thursday December 13, 2012: My Classroom at Union High School (Formerly Powell
Valley High School in Big Stone Gap, VA) , a Cooper's hawk trapped a starling
against the window and took the starling to the ground.  My Biology class and I
watched as the hawk dispatched the starling and carried it away to feed.
Circle of life.... Some kids were horrified to see real life up so close.

Bill Cawood, Teacher, Union High School, BSG