[Bristol-Birds] 3 Golden Eagles, American Pipit, Tazewell & Russell County

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:47:04 -0800 (PST)

I took some time to do some birding today. I covered the Elk Garden, Corn
Valley and Clifton Farm area of Russell County and the Cove in Tazewell County.
I found 2 Golden Eagles in the Cove (both juveniles) along with an American
Pipit, 3 Ameican Kestrels and 6 Red-tailed Hawks. In Russell County I found 2
Woodducks (Elk Garden), Eastern Screech Owl (Mt Road), 1 Golden Eagle
(Juvenile) (Clifton Farm) and at least 8 Red-tailed Hawks (all areas).
I also found what could be a Red-tailed Hawks nest on Clifton Farm Road. I saw
a large nest in a tree on the horizon. I had not noticed it before because I
usally travel this road from the opposite direction and the nest is mostly
hidden from that angle. I did not see a hawk on the nest but there was an adult
Red-tail perched about 20 feet to the right of the nest and another circling
about 50 feet to the left of the nest. I will keep checking back to see if it
is indeed an active nest.

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club