[Bristol-Birds] 3 Bald Eagles - Russell County, VA

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:16:58 -0700 (PDT)

This morning I birded the Clifton Farms Road area of Russell County. As I
turned toward the river on Kent's Ridge Road I saw a mixed kettle of Vultures.
There was another bird below the kettle. It was an adult Bald Eagle. It had the
white tail and head but still had some gray on both. I also saw an Osprey, 3
Great Blue Herons and a Great Egret in a field across the river. About a half
hour later on Clifton Farms Road there was another small kettle of vultures and
this time there were 2 Bald Eagles, one juvenile and an adult with a bright
white tail and head. The adult headed back towards the Clinch River and in a
couple of minutes the juvenile started a chirping call and headed in the same
direction. I saw another Bald Eagle later but it was probably a juvenile and I
could not be positive that it was not the one seen earlier.
Other birds of interest:
Clifton Farms
Loggerhead Shrike
Red-tailed Hawk