[Bristol-Birds] 2011 Wading Bird Survey

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 07:23:29 -0500

Birders,
It's that time of year again!!  We are continuing our state-wide breeding
survey of wading birds.  Great Blue Herons are on eggs or already have chicks!
We have been collecting information for several years and are hoping to
continue collecting information on rookeries across the state.

We have information on nesting sites from 2008 and earlier here:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/i/windbird/index.htm.  I am planning on updating this
with all information submitted on rookeries from 2009-2011 on a new page on the
Tennessee's Watchable Wildlife web site (www.tnwatchablewildlife.org) this
summer (development is currently underway).

If you have participated in a survey for us in the past, please contact me if
you are able to check on those rookeries again (I hope you can!).  Also, if you
know of or find a heronry (whether it is 2 pairs or 200 pairs) and don't know
whether we are aware of the location, please contact me and we will coordinate
monitoring of the site.

I have included a link to a fairly self explanatory data sheet on the home page
of the Tennessee's Watchable Wildlife web site (first bullet under the intro
text). http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org
The form is a PDF which can be saved on your computer.  The form can be printed
out and sent snail mail or can be scanned and emailed or faxed.  If you happen
to have a full version of Adobe Acrobat, you can edit in the information, save,
and send via email, but I suspect most folks do not have the full version of
Adobe.  If you do not have a full version or are uncertain, it would be best to
print and write in the information.  If you do not know the nesting colony name
or number, do not worry.  I will help you out.  The colony name is typically
the location, island, etc. where the rookery is located.

Surveying the sites twice is ideal, but not always possible with everyone's
busy schedules.  Ideally we will check on rookeries in early to mid-April and
again in May, but if only one survey can be done, conducting it from mid-April
to mid-May will be optimal to gather information on the early nesting Great
Blue Herons and the later nesting species.  Making multiple visits to a site is
better though!

Although we are interested in all rookeries, I am especially interested in
nesting locations of Double-crested Cormorants.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly at
scott.somershoe@xxxxxxx

Many thanks!
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
P.O. Box 40747
Nashville, TN 37204
615-781-6653 (o)
615-781-6654 (fax)

www.tnwatchablewildlife.org
www.pbase.com/shoeman

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Nature Calendar for NE TN / SW VA:
http://www.google.com:80/calendar/embed?src=eHlvbjQyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ