[Bristol-Birds] 200+ Purple Finches

  • From: "Richard Kretz" <fatcatz33@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:40:50 -0400

Folks,
During the past week or so Purple Finches began arriving in our backyard and
reached a peak presence well in excess of 200 (far too many to get an accurate
count of and the actual number may well be twice my very conservative estimate)
by 9:00 yesterday morning when my wife called my attention to the "sea of red
birds" viewed from the kitchen window. There has been an incredibly noisy
caucophony while they feed on black oil sunflower seed from feeders and on the
ground. At approx. 3:00 in the afternoon Dave Worley and Laverne Hunter came
over and were able to observe no less than 60 Purple Finches at one time on the
ground and at the feeders with many many more in surrounding trees. By 6:30 in
the evening only five or six Purple Finches were still present. At approx. 9:00
this morning about 2 dozen Purple Finches were again feeding. Fall of 2006 is
the first record of Purple Finches in our yard. They appeared again last spring
and again in the fall, but there were never more than eight to ten at one time
and only for a day or two. Late last fall I installed a small pond with a
stream that is landscaped with plenty of cover and several large feeders. This
has significantly increased all bird populations on the property. While no
doubt a contributing factor, I can't prove that it's the primary reason such a
large migrating flock of Purple Finches has come through. Following is a photo
showing approx. 80 Purple Finches feeding on the ground. Additional photos are
available upon request.

In addition to the Purple Finches we've experienced an increase in other
uncommon birds. Previously we saw two to four Rusty BBs only for a day or two
in November. This year we've seen them several times throughout the winter,
inclusive of two yesterday morning. We've also seen Pine Siskins on a more
regular basis inclusive of two yesterday morning. Previous to this winter we
didn't see any Black-Capped Chickadees, only Carolinas. This winter we've seen
them a fair number of times and were surprised to see one at a feeder yesterday
afternoon at about 3:30. Raptor numbers have increased significantly as well. A
Loggerhead Shrike for the second consecutive winter came in several times and
chased after Goldfinches at tube feeders. Other birds of interest yesterday
included a FOS R-T hummer in the morning, several Tree Swallows that appear
ready to nest, 3 Flickers heavily involved in a mating ritual, a male Towhee,
and an Eastern Phoebe.
Enjoy the birds...
Richard Kretz
Elk Garden, Russell Co., VA