[Bristol-Birds] 2 Olive-sided Flycatchers in Johnson Co near Laurel Bloomery

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 16:50:48 -0400

                               .....holiday bikers in Taylors Valley

Greer Rd. off Dry Branch Rd.
2 miles east of Laurel Bloomery
Johnson Co., TN
4 Sept 2011, 1 p.m.
2480 ft. elevation

While birding thru the scenic highlands and backcountry
between Taylors Valley, Va and Laurel Bloomery I came
upon a small flock of small birds dashing thru the brush
along the roadside and many out in the roadway catching
what appeared to be some kind of insects.

Amazingly, there were two Olive-sided Flycatchers and
an Eastern Phoebe in the small flock and the three flycatchers
were standing on the pavement.  None of the three made
any effort to chase the bugs but would pick up whatever
was near them.  I had never seen two Olive-sideds feeding
together.  The phoebe stayed about 10 feet from the
Olive-sideds which would, from time to time, fly up to small
branches in trees above the road and then return.  The
phoebe would go to a perch just a couple of feet above
the road and off the shoulder.

Also in the flock were about 10 Chipping Sparrows, a few
brown Indigo Buntings, titmice, chickadees and several
bluebirds of mixed ages and sex.

Let's go birding . . .

JPEG image