[Bristol-Birds] 2 Golden Eagles, other raptors Russell County

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Whinery <foshildgc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 16:44:38 -0800 (PST)

This morning Laverne and I birded Elk Garden and Clifton Farm Road. The
highlight of the morning were 2 Golden Eagles perched in trees along Clifton
Farm Road. We were able to get close looks at one but the other was perched at
considerable distance. We were also stopped along the road by one of the men
who hunt in the area. He wanted to tell us about a Bald Eagle he saw that was
dining on a Raccoon road kill along the same road. He described the eagle and
it was an adult Bald Eagle. It was a good raptor day with 4 Red-tailed Hawks, 1
Cooper's Hawk, 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk and 2 American Kestrels. We also saw a
Loggerhead Shrike across Route 19 from Elk Garden School. Our sightings also
included many White-crowned Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Field Sparrow,
Savannah Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Eastern Bluebirds and others.

Tom Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA