[Bristol-Birds] 11 species of warbler - Buchanan Co.

  • From: "Michelle Talbott" <mtalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Bird List" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:58:26 -0400

Birders,
        Today, my mom, Shirley Justus, and I birded a strip-mined site and
cattle pasture located on Guesses Fork in Buchanan County, VA. We
ended with a total of 50 species, including 11 species of warbler
and four species of vireo. I've listed more than half of the species
below. Many of the birds were very cooperative, giving us fantastic
up-close looks. We saw a Prairie Warbler no more than eight feet
away, the best look I've ever had and a life bird for mom. He was
brilliantly colored, the rufous streaks on his back plainly visible,
and as he perched and sang he seemed determined to make himself the
most outstanding bird of the day, despite some stiff competition
from Cerulean and Blue-winged warblers. Mom gained three other new
birds for her life list as well. We also noted the first Scarlet
Tanager we've heard this year, and an immature Orchard Oriole.

Warblers:
Cerulean (8)
Prairie (4)
Blue-winged (4)
Yellow-breasted Chat
Yellow-throated
American Redstart
Worm-eating
Black-and-white
Ovenbird
Hooded
Common Yellowthroat

Vireos:
Yellow-throated
Blue-headed
White-eyed
Red-eyed

Other birds:
Barred Owl (2)
Woodcock (2)
Wild Turkey (2)
Wood Thrush
Ruffed Grouse
Red-tailed Hawk
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Brown Thrasher
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)

Michelle Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958