Cheers and Beers

  • From: Owen Ogletree <owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brewtopia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:33:37 -0500

Subscription information for this Brewsletter list can be found at the bottom
of this message.

To talk to Owen, please send an email to owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BREWTOPIA EVENTS E-MAIL BREWSLETTER
Owen Ogletree (owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
December 21, 2005
http://www.ClassicCityBrew.com
phone (706) 254-BREW

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Wishing you cheers and beers during this festive time of year.

AMERICAN BEER: A BOCKUMENTARY SCREENING
Wednesday, December 28, 7:00 PM
5 Seasons Brewing Company, Prado Shopping Center, Roswell Rd. at I-285,
Atlanta, GA.
Bring a photo ID (21 and up) and at least a $2 donation to the Salvation Army
for admission.
From Andy Crouch, BeerScribe.com: "This film combines the quintessential
American pastimes of road-trips and beer. The film follows the exploits of four
friends who endeavor to tour 38 breweries around the country in 40 days. While
the movie certainly does not attempt any compelling narrative on the craft
brewing industry or impart any philosophy of brewing or life, it is an
entertaining romp through some of America's best known breweries. Any such film
is going to include some drunken exploits and this film is no exception. It
mixes the tried-and-true elements of drunkenness, debauchery, and flatulence,
often to comedic effect.  Along the way, however, the troupe manages to
interview some well-known individuals in the brewing industry, including Fritz
Maytag of the Anchor Brewing Company and Ken Grossman from Sierra Nevada. The
vignettes from the trip include some very personal and compelling moments with
some brewers."
5 Seasons' delicious food and beers will be on sale throughout the evening, and
attendance is limited to the first 150 through the door.  Sponsors: 5 Seasons
Brewing Company, Southern Brew News, http://www.sixhundred.com and Brewtopia
Events LLC.

ATLANTA CASK ALE TASTING
Many thanks to all of you who made donations for attendance at our sold out
January 28, 2006 Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting at Sweetwater Brewery in Atlanta.
Looks like we will have almost 15 incredible cask-conditioned beers from
Georgia (and a guest cask from Thomas Creek in Greenville, SC).  Email
confirmations and additional information will be sent out to all ticket holders
in early January.  100% of the proceeds go to the Atlanta Humane Society.
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/acat.html

BREWPUB OPPORTUNITY IN HELEN, GA
My Name is David Wilkins and I own the Alpine Village Shoppes in Helen, Ga. We
are trying to find a beer brewery that would like to locate up here - possibly
coupled with a good restaurant. We have the space and buildings, and would be
willing to make a very good deal to anyone who would like to do this.  I am
serious about working with whomever and making this happen.  Phone:
706-878-3016 / cell: 706-892-6334.

STOUT MOCHA FREEZE
From: Lucy Saunders
prep time : One hour
recipe type: dessert and sweets
ingredients:
1 quart coffee ice cream
1 cup stout
1 cup grated dark semisweet chocolate
Soften ice cream in microwave for 15-30 seconds. Place in bowl and mix in stout
and grated chocolate. Mixture will be soft - pour into cups and freeze until
firm - about 4 hours. Serve with more stout.  (Spike Buckowski recommends
Terrapin Wake 'n Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout.)

HOEGAARDEN BREWERY TO CLOSE
The company who produces Stella Artois is the owner of the famous De Kluis
Brewery in Belgium (makers of the Belgian White beer made famous by Pierre
Celis).  Stella Artrois, in a shocking move, has decided to close the
Hoegaarden brewery and move production to a pilsner facility in another city in
Belgium.  This move will put an end to the jobs and long brewing history at De
Kluis.  Beer lovers world-wide have protested this decision.

SOUTHERN BREW NEWS ON THE STANDS
Check out the current edition of Southern Brew News for a terrific article by
Jacob Johnston on Atlanta Brewing Company, part two of Owen Ogletree's Belgian
beer travelogue, hard cider and onion soup recipe from Kerri Allen (The Beer
Wench), holiday beer styles from lovable Larry Johnson, and Q&A from Don
Beistle (the mysterious Dr. Brewsky).  SBN is available at brewpubs and fine
beer bars around the Southeast.

To contact Owen about other matters, send an email to owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx