[brailleblaster] Re: Thoughts on the Specification

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 20:45:53 +0000

We seem to be getting a whole jumble of things here. A window is a very generic thing. A dialog is a type of window, normally used to show messages or let users select options. A dialog is not embedded in the top level window but can be such that it prevents the user going back to the main window. A dialog might not cover the main application top level window. Then there are child windows (they may have another name) which usually is embedded into the top level window. These may be used for multiple documents (eg. MS Word has been known to work like this I don't know about their latest version). Finally then there are what I am calling a top level window, these don't have any other window containing them.

My feeling is:
* BrailleBlaster will have a top level window containing the menus and such like which are common to all situations. * The daisy viewer and Braille viewers will be child windows or may be even panes within a child window or may be this will all work on the tab idea. Anyway the main idea is these will be embedded into the top level window. * Print and preview will be dialog boxes as these are both actions (IE. I go to print/emboss a document or I go and view how it will be printed). I see no reason why print preview would need to be open continually.

Michael Whapples
On 08/12/10 20:13, John J. Boyer wrote:
I've never actually looked at a print preview window. Has anyone seen an
embosser preview window? I would think that programs would handle
preview by opening a temporary window that either hides the existing
window or minimizes them.

John

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 12:27:33PM -0600, qubit wrote:
Regarding What happens to the windows when a print preview is active:
I wonder if opening a new window is a good idea.
I am growing to like one feature in eclipse's UI: eclipse will cycle through
all the various windows if you hold control and type F7 repeatedly.
It has a lot of rather busy windows.  I wonder what it looks like to a
sighted person.

As for print preview, I have no idea what to do if you are embossing a
document.  The image in the braille window doesn't necessarily look like the
output of the device.  Do the various embossers provide any kind of API for
knowing what the braille will look like?
Also, if viewing it on screen, you are further limited by the display
capabilities.

Interesting question.  But do you really want there to be a hard coded
window for print preview, print  and emboss?  Couldn't it just be like most
apps that put a command for print and emboss and print preview in the file
menu? That could bring up a dialog.
Just wondering.
--le