[brailleblaster] Re: Is it possible to show a stack trace in a dialog box?

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:06:10 -0000

Hello,
Firstly I would say that in general stack traces should never be shown to users, stack traces probably are only really meaningful to developers. May be if there is an error message appear a details button may reveal debug information which may include a stack trace, however we should try and provide a more helpful message wherever possible to help users. An error dialog may offer a way to let the user send debug information to developers, but we probably would want more than just a stack trace, so may be a section of the log output for just before the exception was raised could be sent as well.

Anyway, to deal with the actual question, refer to the javadoc for Exception, which really doesn't add much over Throwable, so here's the link for Throwable's javadoc for Java6 http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Throwable.html

If you were wanting to write to a stream of some sort then the printStackTrace methods may be relevant as there are methods which can take PrintWriter or PrintStream. If you want greater programatic control/access to the stack trace then look at the method getStackTrace() which gets an array of the StackTraceElements, you would need to deal with StackTraceElement yourself to create the String in the form you want.

Michael Whapples

-----Original Message----- From: John J. Boyer
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:01 PM
To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [brailleblaster] Is it possible to show a stack trace in a dialog box?

This would be a big help to development oif one is using the GUI and
something bad happens. The trace would have to be captured as a String
and then passed to a method in Documentmanager. This method would in
turn display it in a SWT MessageBox with an OK button or perhaps with
the option to continue.

More generally. liblouis and liblouisutdml were designed to be their own
developmennt tools. How can this be applied to BrailleBlaster?

Thanks,