[braille-sense] Re: Braille Sense Curriculum Guide

  • From: Daveed Mandell <daveedm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: braille-sense@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:52:03 -0800

Eva:

Fantastic!

I hope youhave also subscribed to the new
GW-Notetaker list, to be found under the Support link at

gwmicro.com

Good luck.

--Daveed--At 06:27 AM 1/30/2007, you wrote:

Hello Everyone,

  I work for the Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
[APSEA]--Resource Centre for Students who are Blind and Visually
Impaired which is located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.  In June, we
purchased six of the Braille Sense Notetakers to be used with students
in the classrooms of Atlantic Canada who attend their community schools
with the support of trained itinerant teachers of the visually impaired.
 We have approximately 700 BVI students in Atlantic Canada and, while
not all will be braille users, we have a number who require braille
tools and training.  As you can imagine, Atlantic Canada is large and
"geographically" challenging so we are always exploring new ways of
supporting our students in both the small towns and the urban centres.

  In June, we purchased six of the Braille Sense Notetakers and began
the process of "getting to know its features and capabilities".  We have
been very pleased with this Notetaker as well as with the support
provided by GWMicro in our effort to become familiar with and utilize
this tool effectively.  However, due to the fact that our students are
spread far and wide throughout the four provinces that make up this
region, the need for a concrete document that can be sent to itinerant
teachers, parents and classroom teachers for immediate reference was
identified.  To that end, a "Rough Draft" of the Curriculum Guide has
just been uploaded to our website and we invite you all to take a look
at this document and give it a try.  We will continue to revise its
contents as future updates come out and, while we have not had time to
tackle specific features as yet, new chapters will be added as they are
completed.
  As stated, this is a rough draft and, therefore, your comments and
feedback would be very welcome.  To access this document, please use the
link at the bottom of this page.

Many thanks, Eva

http://www.apsea.ca/techpage.htm

Eva McFadden