[botswanapredatorforum] Re: impacts of use of poisons on wildlife

  • From: "Pete le Roux" <petelr.mnr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:29:02 +0200

Hi Rebecca

We recently found 3 hyaena and a leopard carcass which had been dumped on
the side of the road on Mashatu.  Upon investigation it transpired that the
animals had been poisoned - it appears with Temick (spelling?), acquired
illegally from a nearby farm - and had died in the vicinity of the poisoned
carcass.  In order to avoid attracting attention to himself the perpetrator
collected the carcasses and dumped them away from his cattle post.
Unfortunately the police and the DWNP have not managed to prosecute,
although we believe we know who the perpetrator is.   The word on the street
is that he won't be prosecuted because he has influential friends in one or
other of the law enforcement units??

Regards
Pete