[botswanapredatorforum] Re: caracal and black backed jackal numbers

  • From: "pete le roux" <petelr.mnr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:37:43 +0200

Hi Lorraine

Firstly thanks Mark, for elevating me to Doctor status - old John Skinner
would turn in his grave - always called me his most recalcitrant student.

I made an attempt to breed some caracal and serval in captivity some years
ago for release.  This was, however, more of a fun project than one having
any real conservation value.  Whatever the conditions are, which caused the
decline of the species in our area in the first place, are probably still in
place, meaning that a reintroduction would probably have been a waste of
time.

The late Dr Andrew McKenzie did an intensive research program on jackal in
the NTGR in the eighties, concentrating on the 'Wild dog like pack hunting
Behaviour which the jackal exhibited here. I have a copy of his thesis
somewhere and will try and dig it up and see if he has any density estimates
  We find that the jackal population tends to swell to a certain level of
abundance and then crashes (often rabies is indicated in the crash) and then
swells again, and so on and so forth.

Regards
Pete