[botswanapredatorforum] Re: caracal and black backed jackal numbers

  • From: "mark" <bing@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 13:12:01 +0200

The DWNP records of skins and hides from the 70s and later, have been misplaced
in the main, but going to DWNP and instigating a search will help. Tried to
access them for some skins that were tagged, labelled etc to see if a place of
origin were recorded in the original data base which seems to be difficult to
find, so you need not bother going there. Maybe some of the old hides and skins
dealers will still have record books, will ask R.A. Bailey for you, and see
what records they have retained.

Traditional hunting permits permit  bat eared fox, caracal and black backed
jackal to be hunted, but dont think people need to report what they have taken
on thier permits.If they do, there may be some records there.DWNP again.

Jackal populations wax and wane, Ghantzi had many in 2009/ 2010, but rabies
seemed to have dealt them a blow, and they seem lower in population now, I
think these cycles are normal. Predation records( DWNP) mention them, and Phd
by Matthew Scwerner?? in Ghantzi ( Under Predator Conservation trust) had
interesting Jackal records, as jackal were seen to be a bigger threat to
livestock than wild dog as far as I can remember. Smallstock farming areas like
Tsabong may have more recorded problems than areas where cattle are more
important, so prob animal control records from there could help.

VEt Lab at Sebele will have recods of Jackal Rabies could be interesting to see
the cyclicity of the disease.

Leopard Ecology doing a long term camera trap survey, and have spoor transect
data for over 5 years, sure you can speak nicely to them. What did camera trap
survey on Tiisa and Oasis Farms come out with, very few caracal, but I think
the density of them is going to be low, the only place I see them regularly is
the makadigadi.What about the pHD thesis looking at spoor on the transfrontier
boundry, what is he finding??CCB also has camera traps out.

When are all these researchers who are doing really great work out there going
to sit around a table together??

With our stable large predator populations, we seem not to have needed to
actively hunt and kill jackal and caracal in Botswana like the farmers have
done in SA. We effectively have these populations under control, by means other
than farmers helping to create the South African super predator.

If the guides in the Delta had to maintain log books on key species, there
would be an amazing data bank of information to access.

MArk Bing