[botswanapredatorforum] Re: [botswanapredatorforum]: Report on Setata Fence

  • From: "tau" <tau@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <botswanapredatorforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 00:09:31 +0200

Hi Tony

Availability of info is a big need that we do not always realise. Botswana
has far more information available than most countries. I attached a word
file with the summary for lions. It gives a clear indication of the type of
data, and where we did not have data, the assumptions we made to have an
estimate.

The situation that Pete is describing in Tuli is a small, vulnerable
population with a high impact from PAC and hunting. Unlike Khutse,it is not
a corner bit of a larger population. Specific measures are needed here to
ensure the survival of this population. Unfortunately a trophy hunting ban
in Botswana will not contribute to solving the cross border hunting issue in
Tuli.

A concern I have is that Gareth Patterson introduced lions from east Africa
into the population, mixing gene pools. There is also the risk that he
introduced with these lions some of the east African strains of FIV that did
not occur in southern Africa. Some of the problem Tuli lions have been
relocated to the Central Kalahari.....

Regards
Christiaan

   _____